Unsure of which backdrop you like best for your newborn family photos? Don’t fret! I’ve got the help you need! Below are my two color options with tips for how to dress for each selection. On your Newborn Questionnaire, you will be asked which selection you prefer. Please refer to this guide when making your selection. 🙂
- DO Wear clothing that fits properly (mama’s: you’ll probably still be in maternity clothing, and that’s OK!)
- DO Wear your hair and makeup as you normally would. Pinning the front of your hair back will help to keep it out of your face, as most images will be of you looking down at Baby.
- DO note that regular Hanes t-shirts or tank tops are perfect, as well as simple blouses for women
- DON’T Wear bold, bright colors
- DON’T Wear stripes, large, bold patterns, tiny, detailed patterns, or shirts with logos
- DON’T Wear collared shirts (the collar will block off your face as you’re looking down at your baby!)
- Shoes and pants aren’t as important: you may only see the waist of any pants that you are wearing, so mamas, black stretch pants are just fine!
- Jewelry can be worn but should be kept minimal. I’ll often ask Dads to remove large bulky watches so the image can focus on Baby. Large, decorative costume jewelry on moms will also distract from the image. Choose simple!
The Grey backdrop is stunning! The images are created to have a bit more shadow and depth to them, and are meant to be a little bit darker than the bone backdrop.
WHAT TO WEAR: Mom and dad should wear a solid black t-shirt with no visible logos or patterns. Siblings should come wearing solid white with no visible logos or patterns. Hanes t-shirts work well, as do chiffon blouses, lace tops, and other neutral textures. Avoid collars and small patterns on all family members, if possible.
Bone is a light cream colored backdrop which creates a bright but neutral tone to the image. This is one of my new favorites!
WHAT TO WEAR: Mom and dad should wear light, neutral colors [cream, white, or other neutrals. Avoid bright colors such as magenta and teal]. Siblings may choose to coordinate with mom and dad, OR wear solid white with no visible logos or patterns. Lace, chiffon and other soft textures photograph very well, but collars and small stripes and patterns will distract from the image.